The hardness of stainless steel is measured on the Rockwell Scale, with 62° being the highest grade commercially available. However, the brittleness of such hard steel has always been a limiting factor.
I.O. Shen has overcome this problem by using an inner core of super hard Rockwell 62° steel protected by two layers of softer, shock absorbing Rockwell 10° stainless steel on the outside to produce the ultimate cutting edge. They call this Triplex Steel Technology.
All of the knives in the I.O. Shen Mastergrade range use the very latest technology to construct blades which are not only amazingly sharp but which will also retain their edge for a phenomenal amount of time. They have been hand sharpened to a 15° angle, which allows for wonderful slicing and portion control.
The unique handle design distinguishes I.O. Shen Mastergrade knives from all others. It is an essential factor in achieving balance and stability. The Tai Tang is not simply an embellishment, it is an integral part of the handle.
The handles are produced from a synthetic material called ebonite which is both durable and heat resistant, although dishwasher cleaning is not recommended.
I.O.Shen have mastered manufacturing techniques that enable them to produce a superior knife that is popular with professionals. The distinctive and attractive design sets them apart from many other ranges. The range won the Excellence in Housewares award 2007.
- The broad, rigid blade is perfect for dicing meat and vegetables.
- 300mm (12") blade.
- Triplex Technology developed by I.O.Shen is made up of three layers of steel, a central, extra hard layer sandwiched by two softer layers.
- The extremely hard central layer of Japanese steel provides an exceptionally sharp edge while outer layers provide protection and shock absorption.
- Blades retain edge sharpness.
- Knives are hand sharpened and honed by master craftsmen.The distinctive Tai Tang handle is an integral part of the design and adds balance and stability.